Schwarzes Hamburg > Schwarze Szene -Archiv-

Gothic Scene in the USA

<< < (3/5) > >>

schneeball:

--- Zitat ---How far is the gothic scene accepted in the USA? Did you ever experience any repressions or prejudices?
--- Ende Zitat ---

I'd say goths are tolerated in the U.S. alot more than they used to be, but they certainly aren't completely accepted. Even though the shock value wore off along time ago, goths are still kind of viewed as freaks and oddballs, especially in the smaller towns in rural states like Tennessee or Iowa.

I haven't really experienced much prejudice in the last few years. Occationally, I might get called a freak or a fag by a bunch of hick tourists or mexicans driving past a club in a pickup truck, but that's about all.

--- Zitat ---Did the Scene in America evolve somehow in a certain direction. Did it change over the recent years?
--- Ende Zitat ---

The U.S. scene has changed alot. In what direction the change depends on where you live. Certainly in CA, industrial has become more popular at the clubs; most likely because its more danceable. Also, the fetish and S&M influence has become more obvious.

--- Zitat ---What are the main bands you listen to? Can you recommend something?
--- Ende Zitat ---

I'm a big Rammstein and Type O Negative fan. I like some industrial stuff like KMFDM and Front 242; some older deathrock/punk stuff like Christian Death, the Cramps, and the Misfits; I listen to some goth stuff such as the Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and X-mal Deutschland; some 80's/early 90's post punk stuff like Husker Du, the Pixies, and the Smiths; and I also occationally listen to some psychobilly/rock-a-billy stuff too. The list really is endless. As for making recommendations, I would prefer if someone recommended something new for me to listen to.

--- Zitat ---Did anybody (Americans or Germans) make experiences with the scenes in Germany AND the USA. What differences did you recognize? Are there actually any differences within the US (e.g. East and Westcoast)?
--- Ende Zitat ---

I've never been to Europe, so I wouldn't know how to compare Germany with the U.S. However, as far as the differences between East and West Coast scenes go, I've pretty much already answered that question in a couple of other threads; but, yes, there is a difference, and from what I've seen and heard, that difference is like night and day.

olli:

--- Zitat von: "redghost" ---
So, what's Germany like?
What are the people like?
Are there any Fanberg's there?  (last name)
--- Ende Zitat ---

woot, you're from minneapolis? i went there 4 years ago, visited the "ground zero" (guess its name got changed). they had gogo-dancers in blue-red-white costumes, doing michael jackson dance moves - that really freaked me out...

germany is great. though the u.s. has more & better movies, tv programs, theme parks, and breast implants, so u guys are okay.

people here are taller, less fat (though on the right track, thanks for mcdonalds and pizza hut), and better educated. and known for their modesty and politeness :)

no fanbergs in hamburg, sorry. you do know that it's "fanbergs", not "fanberg's", right? no offense meant!

redghost:
Yes, I know how to type, just didn't feel I needed to constantly correct my errors, especially If you can read my mistakes ;) Thanks though.

Thanks for answering all my questions and for a warm welcome.

olli:
just wondering: what are americans doing on schwarzes-hamburg.com?

and how are faribault and mancato doing?  :)

Der Uhu:
@ olli: For explanation have a look here. On the bottom of the first post is an explanation in german. There are also links to other threads in english and to some american forums.

Faribault and Mancato? Are that people from Minnesota?

@ redghost: And what is with that name Fanberg? It sound german because it end on -berg, but I never heard of any person called Fanberg. Must be a very rare name. Or it is not from our region. There are significant differences between the regions of Germany. In South Germany very different family names are common than here.

The question how Germany is like is quite difficult to answer and it would take probably ages to answer it. We call a question like that "Gretchen"-question. That are questions that are so generell that you just can't answer them. The original Gretchen-question was "What do you think about religion?" and is from a book by Goethe who is something like our Shakespear, only better.
I can only say that there is not much truth in what many people think about germans. But some things are true.

True is: Germans drink a lot of beer, they tend to be not very emotional but rational, they like to organize things which leads often to overorganisation and bureaucracy, they do build the best cars in the world, soccer is a serious business in Germany especially when we play against England and Holland and we like to beat the Americans at the winter Olympics.

NOT TRUE is that Hitler is still alive, Germans hate jews, that Germany started existing in 1933, all germans are wearing Lederhosen and dance Schuhplattler, we fly around in Zeppelins (even though I would like to do that), that we pronounce 'r' like 'rrrrrrrrr' (only Hitler did that) and that Sauerkraut is a common german speciality.

And another point to mention is that german is the best language on the planet to swear at each other. In english there is only "fucking this", "bloody that" and bitch or cunt and that was it. In contrast german has probably thousands of swearing words and a large variety of possibilities to insult each other. A curious fact is that we do not have a swearing word for Americans even though that was urgently needed in the recent months!  :wink:

Greetings
Der Uhu

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[#] Nächste Seite

[*] Vorherige Sete

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln